My Healthcare Wish List (I can dream, right?)
The Doctor-Patient Relationship
- At my quarterly endo appointment, I see my actual endocrinologist.
- The appointment is scheduled for at least 30 minutes, allowing for thorough discussion and relationship building.
- My endocrinologist knows me as a person, and understands my health goals. We co-develop strategies to improve and maintain my health.
- All labs and appointments are designed in service to human beings – patients and doctors – rather than in service to the health insurance industry.
The Health and Wellness Center (formerly “Medical Center”)
- What used to be known as a "Medical Center" is now called a “Health and Wellness Center” (like this one), reflecting a emphasis on health rather than medicine.
- The Health and Wellness Center houses:
- my primary care doctor's office
- a gym
- a nutritionist / dietician / Certified Diabetes Educator
- a massage therapist
- a café serving fresh, healthful food (with nutrition info)
- The Health and Wellness Center is located near my home so I can walk or bike to it.
- My BG monitor and insulin pump seamlessly communicate with each other.
- I maintain my own Electronic Health Record (EHR) which pulls in information from all my doctor(s).
- Insurance companies have no place in the perfect world I envision.
This post was written for Diabetes Blog Week.
Today's Prompt: How would you improve or change your healthcare experience?
For more perspectives on this topic, click here.