I just signed up for LiveWell Colorado’s Get Movin’ Challenge. For those who are unfamiliar with it, LiveWell Colorado is a nonprofit organization committed to reducing obesity in our state. The challenge invites Coloradans to commit to one month of physical activity – at least 30 minutes a day every day – during the month of August.
As it happens, my kids are enrolled this week in a sports-oriented camp.
A typical day looks like this:
8:15-9:00 – Open Recreation (Basketball, Soccer, Corn Hole, Twister, etc)
9:00-9:45 – Rules, Stretching, Name Games & Morning Snack
9:45-11:15 – Dance/Cheer OR Soccer
11:15 -12:15 – Lunch
12:15-1:00 – Lacrosse
1:00-2:00 – Ice Skating
2:00-3:00 – Climbing Wall
3:00-3:30 – Afternoon Snack
3:30-4:30 – Ultimate Frisbee
I would not have described either of my children as particularly sporty. And yet, they return home from camp each day raving about how much fun they had scaling the climbing wall and learning to play lacrosse.
That got me thinking – I should make my workout more fun. Here’s how I’m going to do that during the Get Movin’ Challenge:
- add two classes to my fitness routine (I picked spin and power yoga)
- take my family hiking twice over the next 5 weeks
- schedule an evening soccer or volleyball game in the park with other families
- commit to two car-free (walk- or bike-only days) in August
- go on a bike date with my husband
- take another Will Power and Grace class with my friend
- participate in Viva Streets in Denver on August 11th
- play tag at a park with my kids
- swim for 30 minutes during my children’s swim lessons
I like this plan. August is going to be really fun.